Monday, December 29, 2008

Covering The Classics: Volume I

I was listening to some of my oldies but goodies recently and thought it would be cool to profile indie artists who have given 70s and 80s classics a contemporary twist. After much research, and I mean a lot of reviewing of YouTube videos, I finally came across an artist who has presented a solid, inventive interpretation of a song that was a major hit back in the day.

Soul/jazz artist Alison Crockett (Brooklyn, NY) has put her own stamp on Janet Jackson's When I Think Of You (1986) and delights with an entirely new groove.



And then there's Eva Cassidy, an amazing vocalist whose talent was short lived. She passed away in 1996 at the age of 33, but left us with numerous recordings, one of which is my favorite - Time After Time (1984) co-written and sung by Cyndi Lauper.



No comments: